How to avoid “Death by Prezi” (I call it “Seasickness by Prezi”) - check out this video made by my Prezi Experts Colleague Russell! #prezi #seasickness
How to avoid Death by Prezi (Russell Anderson-Williams, Prezi Day 2013)
Giving a presentation is like flying a plane. Prezi is not about zooming, spinning around and rotating. So you should not add as much of it as possible.
It’s important to face the consequence: people will feel sick, have a bad experience, will never use prezi again and – worst – will go back to old-fashioned and boring methods of presentation.
Tips to avoid Death by Prezi:
- Think about your objective of your presentation first! Otherwise your audience will never get your point.
- Figure out the quickest and smoothest way to reach your objective! The message is more important than effects. Use mind mapping to figure it out. So really spend time planning your presentation.
- Come up with one big picture! You don’t need to use the whole canvas. Give yourself boundaries with the one big picture.
- Build your prezi and think of it as a cake: the bottom layer is the background picture, the cream and jam are the content, and the top layer of the cake are the frames and paths.
Paul Naveau – Making a prezi in 20 minutes– Prezi Day 2013
- Start with a blank canvas and insert a title. Our goal is to tell a focused story.
- Do a brainstorming
- Make a cloud of words. Select some words and make another word cloud around this one.
- Make a mind map out of it – structure it with 3 main topics, because 3 will be remembered best. Highlight the three topics and make the titel of your presentation big.
- Start sorting your words with the three topics you decided to use.
- Add some frames to make the structure really obvious.
- Replace some words with pictures. The quickest way to do it is use the picture search within prezi. (Attention: I strongly recommend to be very careful with copyright, especially if you are doing a public presentation. But in that case you should spend more than 20 minutes for your preparation … J)
- You can also replace some words with some YouTube video (but you have to make sure you have a proper internet connection when presenting!)
- Add the path, starting with the title. Second comes an overview (use the “Add current view” button for doing it quickly.) Select the topic you want to start with and add further path point.
- Go to presenter mode and check your prezi.
This way you can build basic presentations with prezi. A proper design needs more time and planning of course ;-)